Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting Posts about hunting the whitetail deer in MI with firearms, bows, etc.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default How long to wait after gettin busted

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
During the early gun season I missed a doe with my muzzleloader. I think the same group of 6-7 does came in this morning. They came in and munched around but stayed out of my openings. It is really thick! Well I thought they all had wandered off, so I climded down from my stand(had to get home to meet someone). Right when I get to the bottom step I look back and 2 of the deer were hidden in the thickets and were staring right at me. They did the normal stomp/blow. They were fairly close so I started to inch toward them. Right before I could get a shot they bolted.
So I think I have been busted 2x by the same group of does. Should I let the stand cool for a while, or do the deer have a short memory?
Thanks,
sslopok
Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Did they catch your scent? If they did, it's over. They will avoid that area. If not, they will return but the question is, when? I would rest that stand for a week, and then only hunt it when the wind is right for a silent approach.
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Guide

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

It's been a long time since I have busted. We used to have this old doe that had busted one of us and every time she came back to that tree stand site she would stay out of range and look right up first thing. Once you've been busted it's hard to say but most deer don't forget. Your in there house, it's like you stubbing your toe on the couch, you never forget every time you walk past it. Just my thoughts. Good Luck there are more deer in the woods!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I don't think they winded me because they munched around for around 45 minutes. They were north of me also and the wind was a southeast. I was was wearing my scent blocker outfit so hopefully that helped.

I hope it doesn't shut down my spot. It is tough enough to see deer on this 20 acres.
sslopok
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

If you have other stands to hunt I would give it a break. The next rains will wash away your scent IF that was the problem. Otherwise next time you go back I would take some type of scent (I would use the Earth or Acorn scent) spray and use it on the brush nearby and all the way into your stand. I am sure those are not the only does that will be going your way. Don't sweat it. Deer will still go by even after you get busted.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Tracker

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper34 View Post
Did they catch your scent? If they did, it's over. They will avoid that area. If not, they will return but the question is, when? I would rest that stand for a week, and then only hunt it when the wind is right for a silent approach.
I have to disagree!~
It all depends on the habbitat and situation.
You can't say that if a deer smells you they will never come back through!
I and I am sure alot of other hunters here havev proven this wrong.
Sometimes right, but for sure not always!!
My 2 cents
zach
Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Master Sportsman

Last week on a 5-day hunt, the same 4pt busted me by scent (only scent) 2-days in a row. The 3rd day he returned but a .25wssm busted him before he scented me. So, 3-days in a row he came back....
Now this is in S. Carolina so maybe ya'lls deer are a little smarter.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

not quite sure about the whitetails here. but when i used to guide out west if elk or mulie bucks busted u by sent it was over they werent coming back. but if they just saw you and didnt smell you they would useually be back in same area the next day.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

in my area if deer avoided every area they smelled or saw a human they would have to leave the state!!
I dont think it bothers them as bad as most think. Just hunt a different stand for a few days. They didnt see you in the stand.

How long to wait after gettin busted - Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting

Member Number 47
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Guide

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

If that's all you have to hunt & have time to go back? I would, you never know who else might walk through the area